Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Waiting Boys


I have to write this post because it's been tugging at my heart every day since we've been home. I can't stop thinking about them and I can't stop praying they will find a family.

We have a list at our agency of children that do not have families yet. These are usually perfectly happy, healthy children. Sadly, they have not been chosen because of their age or they are part of a sibling set. Right now, we have five children on that list. Two are sibling sisters that will be adopted together. They are 6 & 8 years old. We also have three older boys. They are 8, 9, and 10. The boys have been there for a long time...I would guess some almost a year. I would love to post their pictures, but we are not allowed unless they are adopted.

Because we are adopting a boy, I spent a lot of time in the boys' rooms. I'd love to write this post about all the waiting children, but I didn't have the privilege to get to know the sisters as well. I do remember they were super sweet, very loving and giggly.

The boys have stolen my heart! They were so helpful and polite. They know some English and would try and translate words for you. If a toddler ran off with your shoes, they would retrieve them for you with a smile. They always waited patiently for the snacks and toys we brought and would let the younger kids have them first. They were excellent "big brothers" to the small ones and they were always there to help. My son would call them over when something fun was happening. They are great at soccer and can run very fast!

I think constantly about the last day. The boys were playing on their bunk beds and we came to say goodbye. They all gave me the BEST hugs and kisses ever! Not just a little hug, but it felt like these boys wanted (NEEDED) a family so badly. They all had huge smiles on their faces, but I was trying not to cry. At that moment, I was ready to put them ALL in my suitcase. If I had enough money, I would buy a bigger house and come back for every one of them!

I write these things not to make you sad. I'm hoping somebody is reading this blog and has thought about the possibilities of an older child. It took us a long time to decide to adopt an older boy. I was scared. But, after meeting Liyon, I realize it was one of the best decisions in my life! I hope there are prospective parents out there on that bubble, trying to decide if one of these children is right for them. Go with your heart and find out more. These kids are the sweetest!

2 comments on "The Waiting Boys"

Nikki on May 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM said...

Thanks for posting this, Heather... those boys have been on my mind and in my prayers for several months now. Praying their family reads your post!

Jodi on May 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM said...

Tears are flowing!! I still cry every day for them!!! I am almost haunted by their sweet faces and their sad looks when they saw us with our boys. Will continue praying and will not give up trying to find their forever families!!!!
Love you Heather and love your sweet heart!

Post a Comment