Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 6


This day was the toughest. I knew the time had come to tell the kids goodbye, but wanted the day to move in slow motion. None of the families wanted to leave the kids, and the older children could feel what was happening. Liyon kept checking to see if we were still there. He’d be eating lunch, and I would peek around the door and he’d get a great big smile on his face.

It looks like Kidist is adjusting well to her new home at the care center. She still is happy as can be and loves to be held. She is getting these little sore spots under her chin that we later found out was impetigo. I’ve heard that was very common in the orphanages and the new doctor has prescribed a medication. It was hard to put her down in bed for a nap. I knew we wouldn’t see her awake again until our second trip. I checked on her later and all I wanted to do was hug and kiss her. But, I didn’t wake her. It took great restraint!!



Liyon was even tougher to say goodbye to. We gave him hugs and kisses and said “ciao.” I was waiting by the van to leave and noticed he was in the boy's room laying face down on the mat. I snuck in there and realized he was crying. I’m not sure if it was because somebody had tried to take the hat his daddy gave him, or if he really understood this was our last day. I picked him up and snuggled with him in my lap. I wish so bad I knew Amharic and could tell him everything that was going to happen. That this would only be for a few weeks and we would be back to get him. I wanted to tell him about his new siblings that can’t wait to meet him. How we would buy him new clothes that actually fit and shoes that don’t have any holes. He would have a bed that is more than just foam, and wouldn’t have to share with other kids. And most importantly, that we would hug and kiss on him EVERY day. Oh, I wish he understood!


We spent our last few hours walking up the street by our hotel. There are huge holes in the street and you have to watch out for goat heads and skins on the sidewalk. Somebody did offer to sell me a “good goat.” Mike told me no, that I couldn’t take it on the plane. We bought some silver jewelry at a great price for Kidist when she gets older and a few more souvenirs. Then we headed for the airport for the long ride home.

I was sad getting on the plane and I had plenty of chocolate to keep my occupied. It was nice to be back in the U.S., but my heart is now divided between two countries. I’ve already started packing for the next trip. I can’t wait!!

1 comments on "Day 6"

Jodi on May 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM said...

heart wrenching good-bye's!! I lost it a few times on the plane but when we got to Atlanta and found out that Kenzie had broken her collar bone i knew i had to step it up and be mommy to the kids at home and trust God will take care of our kids in Ethiopia! Love you and your beautiful family!!!! Can't wait for our play dates!!!

Post a Comment