Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Can I live on this?


On Sunday, we had our first Ethiopian food experience. It was very ummm...good and strange. Mike's family was in town and they took us to a restaurant in Dallas that was nearly in a basement. His uncle is a well travelled man, so he ordered five different dishes
for us to share. Instead of utensils, they passed out injera bread. It was described as a sour bread that looks like a big, floppy dish rag. And that was sooo right! The food was brought on a big tray and placed in the middle of the table. This is a tradition in Ethiopia and emphasizes unity and friendship. You pull off a piece of the spongy bread and scoop up some of the mystery meat and vegetables. I say mystery meat because some of that stuff didn't look like anything I've eaten before. I heard one was lamb and another had a chicken leg beside an egg. I'm not sure if they were joking, but they said it answered the age old question of which came first. I believe one of the meats was called Kitfo. You have to be careful and ask for this cooked, or they will bring it out raw. Ew. I'm definitely going to remember that helpful hint! It's good to know that even though their food is very different than ours, I believe I can survive for a week. I've also read that there is a strong Italian influence in the country and you can even find pizza. Probably not stuffed crust, but it would be fun to try. They do not serve desserts at a meal, so I might have to stuff some oreos in my luggage too.

1 comments on "Can I live on this?"

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia on January 7, 2010 at 3:15 PM said...

You're going to have to tell me where that place is so we can go!!

Post a Comment