Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cup of Cold Water In Jesus' Name


I need some ideas!

I have done a lot of thinking about our trip to Ethiopia. I think God has given us a HUGE opportunity to help other people over there in need. Even though we will only be there for a week, I do not want to be the Americans that pick up our baby, hide in the hotel, and fly away to our big homes and food-filled refrigerators. We will see poverty, and will see A LOT
of poverty. These people are not hungry because they are lazy and sit on the couch all day. They are hungry because there are few jobs - I read up to 50% unemployment rate! Millions are homeless and scrap for food. Imagine what it would feel like to have starving children. I don't want to "look the other way" - I want to be able to help! My wheels are turning. I already have some great ideas from our agency of people we can help, including a list of things the orphanage needs. If you have any ideas of raising money or know of good ways to distribute anything collected, please post any comments or email me at heeter_skeeter@yahoo.com. I'd love to hear any ideas!

There will be lots more to follow on this idea as we get closer to travel!

3 comments on "Cup of Cold Water In Jesus' Name"

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia on January 14, 2010 at 6:26 PM said...

I saw a blogger recently who brought over 2 tubs of donated items when they flew over for placement and the airline waived the fees for the extra weight.

Heather on January 18, 2010 at 4:06 PM said...

I would love to have tubs full to take to the orphanage! I'll have to keep that in mind in case we need it :)

Becky said...

What a great idea! I'll brainstorm, too, but let me know if I can help with anything.

Post a Comment