Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Name Game


So, I've been batting around a few names for our little girl. I'm not sure when we officially get to name her. Before the two trip rule, her name would be documented when we re-adopt in the US. Now, I'm not sure since we come back on a different visa. Anyway, we are growing a list of possibilities and will see which one sounds best when we hear her Ethiopian name. We would love to make the middle name her Ethiopian name. When she is older, she can choose which name she would like to be called.

As we are looking for names, we would love something that is semi-easy to pronounce and spell. And, I'm not sure how to say this...but we are looking for a name that sounds natural among different nationalities. I would like to find a name that doesn't sound too "white", if you know what I mean :) My true test of a name is to imagine myself yelling it across a playground.

Here is the list that I've started and many are just slight variations of each other. Feel free to comment on the ones you like or let me know if any are evil characters in a movie :) I'd also love any new suggestions! I'll try to keep adding names as I find them.

Emma (the favorite but probably falls under the too "white")
Alia, Aliya
Kayla, Kaylee, Kaya, Keely
Amaya, Amiya, Amira
Raegan, Regan
Selah
Mia, Miya
Abi
Amira, Amara
Kendi
P.S. Still #4, but there was a wonderful referral yesterday of triplets!!

7 comments on "The Name Game"

Maureen on April 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM said...

I love Aliya and Amira - both were on our short list!

Maureen
Mom-to-be to Makeda - #9 on toddler girl list

Meg on April 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM said...

They are all great...I would maybe wait until you hear her Ethiopian name, and if you can find something that goes with it!!!! We were so surprised when that our son's birth mother had named him Samuel, and we loved it! I would try to incorporate her birth name in some way, so maybe wait to hear it until you make a final decision!

Anonymous on April 7, 2010 at 7:12 PM said...

I like Kendi---I happen to know that is Ethiopian from searching name lists early last year =)
I also love Amira!
I work with babies and see to many Kaylee's and Keely's.
I agree about Emma- however- if it is what you love....remember about her middle name too =)

Annie on April 7, 2010 at 7:13 PM said...

they are all very pretty :) so exciting!!!

Becky said...

Ooh- I like Kendi and Amara- they sound so pretty! But you're right, you really kind of have to know her given name first to know what will go best with it...hopefully not much longer!

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia on April 13, 2010 at 10:10 AM said...

You might just be able to Americanize it a little bit!! I like Amaya and Mia though ;)

Some families who got referrals a week before us just got May 3rd court dates. I hope we find out in the next week or so.

Kelly on April 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM said...

My vote is for Selah. My favorite girl name right now, and if my husband EVER agrees t let me adopt again, her name will be Selah. Love it!

Post a Comment