Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Friday, June 17, 2011

Where are we now?


Still waiting :)

In our last episode, we found out Liyone's skin test was positive for TB. They gave him a sputum test and now we wait eight weeks for the results. We had asked the embassy if they would clear Kidist to bring her home early.

I talked with the TB division of the health department and they said children are not contagious. Their lungs are too small to cough up the infection. They are willing to sign a special letter claiming they will take responsibility for his treatment and medication, if he does have TB. I asked the embassy if I could file this waiver (along with the nice $585 fee) and they will not let us yet. What is really frustrating, is that the health department said they could do a smear of the sputum test at two weeks and have some results. She said not to get our hopes up that the embassy will do this test and we'll probably be waiting the eight weeks.

We also heard that a birth family member of Liyone must travel from their home, 500 miles away, and have an interview with the Embassy. They randomly do this to ask questions, like if she was illegally paid and if she understands what is happening. We are hoping that goes well at the end of next week.

In the beginning, the Embassy agreed that clearing Kidist first is a possibility. So, I've emailed twice about Kidist and my agency has also tried. They finally emailed back today and need three more documents. It sounds like our agency has already gathered those documents and are getting them translated. Hopefully they can be submitted on Monday and we'll hear something soon :)

As for me, my bags are almost packed and I'm ready to go! People seem surprised that I am so patient. Honestly, I'm not! Can you really call it patience if you don't have any other options?? For the last week, I have in my head the little song from Nemo..."just keep swimming, just keep swimming."

In the meantime, WONDERFUL people have been sending me pictures of the kids. This is really helping to get me through! Thank you so much!


My son is so handsome...even in a butterfly shirt :)



3 comments on "Where are we now?"

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia on June 18, 2011 at 8:14 PM said...

ROTFL at the butterfly shirt!!!!! We always had so many boys in girl clothes in pictures. :) :)

Sharon on June 20, 2011 at 8:25 AM said...

Love those new pictures-and hoping you hear something very soon from the Embassy!

Michelle Holley Ledford on June 20, 2011 at 5:04 PM said...

Hoping we get good news soon. I mean we need it, right? The pictures are fantastic!!! She is getting soo big!!! I hope you can bring her home soon so I can meet her :)

Post a Comment