Author Unknown

Sometimes I'd like to ask God why He allows poverty, famine, and injustice in the world when He could do something about it. But I'm afraid God might ask me the same question.

Mother Teresa

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."


Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Day 2 and 3


The day we have been awaiting finally arrived! It was such an emotional day. I said I wasn't going to cry when I met them. Psshhh!! That didn't happen. All the anxiety and hopes and love that I have felt for the past five months just flowed out as soon as I saw their smiley faces. They are precious!!! I don't think my blog post can do justice to how adorable they are.


We first went to go see baby K at the orphanage. They did not come to greet us at first, so I poked my head in all the doors. I think I interruped the children at school. Ooops! I walked into the baby room and found her in the crib in the corner. Oh, she is so stinking cute!! She has beautiful eyes and the best grin. She is so happy and I still haven't heard her cry or be upset. The nannies can really make her giggle. She has no problem with us picking her up and loving all over her. She is such a curious baby. She loves to look at your face and play with your nose or hair. She'll stretch as far as she can to catch a glimpse at the older chilren playing soccer or the painting on the wall. She rolls across the floor like a pro. We found the nanny that calls her "my friend." I had two pictures of them together that other families have taken. I gave them to her and she was super happy. You can tell the nannies really love those babies.


Then we went to the care center to meet our four year old boy. When we arrived, he was in his room, maybe asleep. He looked very scared and shy at first. He wouldn't even look at us and kept his head down. Once again, I was crying with a big grin on my face. I'm sure that confused him :) He is the most handsome boy!! He was smaller than I expected...just a teeny bit bigger than Cole. I brought out my bag of toys and he started warming up to us. You can tell he really loves the special attention. Every little toy he played with was hidden behind him or under his leg. I think he is afraid the other kids will take them. It wasn't long until we were playing ball and blowing bubbles and his favorite is our camera and I-phones. He was so cute taking pictures of his friends and then showing them :) Yesterday, I didn't hear him say anything. Today, he very quietly told me what some letters were and said the word "sister" when he looked at Adrian's picture. We also heard the children singing from their school. I was amazed at how many songs they know, both in Amharic and English!


I'm hoping they are already starting to bond with us. When K woke up from her nap today, she saw me and grinned really big. Then, I was really touched by how our boy reacted today. When we left the care center for the first time, he sat quietly with big crocodile tears. The nanny tried to explain that we were coming back. When we did arrive back at the care center, he came running to the door with a great big smile on his face. Oh, breaks my heart. I want to squeeze them in my suitcase and bring them back on this trip.


We have court tomorrow morning. We found out that the birth family has already testified in court about two weeks ago and they passed. That is a huge relief!! We were hoping to meet her on this trip, but she has already travelled back to the region 500 miles away. They will try and bring her back on our Embassy trip. So, now we pray that our updated I-600 has made it to our file in time and the MOWA approval letter is there. I'm really nervous about that. I'll post what court is like as soon as I can. If we do pass tomorrow, I'll put a few pictures and their names on facebook, if the internet is in a good mood.

1 comments on "Day 2 and 3"

Sharon @ Texas to Ethiopia on April 26, 2011 at 9:54 PM said...

HAAAA HA HA I am loving reading all of this and I almost laughed out loud about boiling your toothbrush. PLEASE do not get giardia!!! :) I am so glad you're able to share with all of us what's going on...it gives me goosebumps...I feel like I'm right there with you. Yes, that food tastes odd when they call it something and its the "same" thing on 2 different plates...but looks totally different. Ok it's late and I'm not making sense. I'm sure you're up and ready for court by now. I will say a prayer!!!

Post a Comment